In the world of the internet, every device and every piece of equipment that connects to it, such as mobile phones, laptops, and tablets, is assigned a unique IP (Internet Protocol) address. This address consists of numbers separated by dots, for example 994.256.987.586, and it serves as a way for computers to communicate with each other.
However, for us humans, remembering all those numbers can be quite challenging. That’s why domain names, like www.hosted.com, were created to make it easier for us to navigate the online world.
To ensure the smooth operation of the internet, there are authoritative Registries appointed to enforce the regulations set by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers) on a global scale.
Some well-known international Registries include:
- Verisign: Manages the .com and .net TLDs, which are among the most popular and widely used TLDs globally.
- Public Interest Registry (PIR): Oversees the .org TLD, which is commonly used by non-profit organizations.
- Neustar (now GoDaddy Registry): Operates various TLDs, including .biz, .us, and others.
- CentralNic: Manages a wide range of TLDs, including .xyz, .online, .site, and many others.
- Donuts Inc.: Operates multiple TLDs, such as .live, .social, .news, and more.
- Afilias: Manages various TLDs, including .info, .mobi, and others.