How can we help?
Understanding databases is crucial to web development, phpMyAdmin is a powerful tool that simplifies the management of MySQL databases for PHP applications.
This guide assumes that you have already created your MySQL Database and now covers the basics of navigating phpMyAdmin.
What is phpMyAdmin?
phpMyAdmin is a free, web-based application that facilitates the management of MySQL databases. It offers an intuitive interface to interact with databases that makes tasks like creating, modifying, and querying databases more accessible, even for newcomers.
- Login to your Hosted.com Control Panel
- and click the “phpMyAdmin” icon.
- Select the Database from the list on the left, defaulting to the “Structure” tab.
- Select a Table to view the data, then you can add, edit, sort, or delete records.
- The “SQL” tab allows you to directly execute SQL custom queries on your database.
- To create a Database, click on “Databases,” enter a name, select a collation (character set), and hit “Create”.
- Within your chosen database, navigate to “Structure” and click “Create Table” and then define your columns, data types, and primary keys.
- When inserting data. go to the desired table, click “Insert,” and provide values for each column. Save to add a new record.
- Updating data, simple requires you to select the row and click “Edit” to modify the values, and save the changes.
- To running queries, select the “SQL” tab, write the SQL query and click “Go” to execute.
Tips for Getting Comfortable
- Explore Sample Databases – many phpMyAdmin installations include sample databases. Use them to practice without affecting real data.
- Backup – prior to any database changes, we would recommend that you ensure you have a current backup copy to avoid data loss.
- Learn SQL – familiarize yourself with SQL basics, as it is essential for effectively managing databases.
- User Privileges – be clear on who you are granting access to and and their privileges to maintain security.
- Documentation and Resources – please refer to phpMyAdmin’s official documentation and online tutorials for more in-depth knowledge. You can access all phpMyAdmin documentation by clicking on the “Home” icon (1st icon under the logo), the Documentation panel will display as the 3rd block on the right hand side.